Kuhio Park Terrace Family Center
Located in Honolulu, in the island of Oahu, a PACT Program
The goals of the Center are aimed at assisting parents through strategies supported by research which show that parental involvement leads to academic success for students.
- To increase the knowledge of and confidence of parents in child-rearing activities;
- To strengthen partnerships with parents and professionals in meeting the educational needs of children from birth through high school; and
- To enhance the working relationships between home, school and community agencies.
Because of the high numbers of immigrant communities (Chuukese and Marshallese), a program called "The Sundays" Project has been initiated. This is a faith-based parent involvement project to be implemented in the churches, and through the radio.
The Kuhio Park Terrace Resource Center is located at 1485 Linapuni Street, Suite 103 in Honolulu and serves the Kuhio Park Terrace community and Farrington Complex target schools of Linapuni, Fern, Kalihi Waena and Kalihi Kai as well as Puuhale and Kaewai. Because of the high concentration of Micronesians, many of the faith-based communities are also included in our served community.
Many workshops are provided, especially in the area of early childhood; others include:
- How to create a homework friendly home.
- How to help your children with Math.
- How to help children with Reading and how to read to them.
- How kids learn through play.
- Information/tips on how to have a successful meeting with your child's teacher.
- How to help kids maintain learning during school breaks and vacation.
- Provide information on what is a Rubric? General Learner's Outcome? No Child Left Behind Act? School Choice and Supplementa Educational Services? We provide information on State and Local Report Cards and opportunities for public school choice and supplemental educational services
- For language access to our greater population of new immigrants, we proivde written educational materials in the Chuukese and Marhsallese languages.
- Provide small talk workshops for parents to share and learn among themselves.
- Set-up tours for parents to visit public libraries.
- We also provide awareness education on the different cultures of Micronesia to help teachers and the community know and understand how to effectively work with students and families.
- Hawaii Department of Education (HDOE)
- Pacific Resource Educational Laboratory (PREL)
- University of Hawaii Center on the Family
- Hawaii Family Literacy
- PACT Early Head Start/Head Start
- Micronesian Community Network
- Nations of Micronesia
- Micronesian Community Awareness Program
- Marshallese Lemanjuri Organization (MaLo)
- KNDI Radio
- Chuukese Parent Advisory Committee
- Primary School Adjustment Program(PSAP)
- Parent Community Networking Centers
- University of Hawaii College of Agriculture-KAMP
- KPT Children's Fair
- Linapuni Elementary School Spring Fair
- Ready To Learn
- PACT Kid's Day
- Kinder KAMPs- Kindergarten Are Most Precious Orientations
- View PACT KPT Family Center calendar
View and download more resources in our resource page.